We live in a world full of distractions. One of the best tips I ever learned was to be able to recognise when you lose focus. Staying on track means spending less time on activities that distracted you from your plan. Read on to learn tips to maintain your focus. If you do this quickly then you lose less time before you get back on track.
If we don’t notice what distracts us we can lose working on someone else’s priorities. This can lead to frustration, plus increased pressure to deliver on original priorities.
We are distracted by slightly different things or different people or different apps! So first figure out what distracts. Then develop solutions that will work for you. When you need to be super productive, you can eliminate those distractions.
Key ways to eliminate distractions:
- Turn off digital notifications
- Remove unnecessary apps from phones and other devices
- Use a “do not disturb” signal for colleagues
- Remove your self from noisy places
Tips To Maintain Your Focus
Here is an approach to help you stay focussed.
- Decide what you want to focus on and for how long
- Use frequent timed checkpoints to see if are still working to plan
- If not make a note of what has distracted you
- Work on eliminating those distractions so you can return to your plan
Stick at it and you will become tuned it to whats happening. You will be more aware of things that distract you in your workplace. You will start working on strategies to reduce those distractions.
Try this out and let me know how it goes. And of course please share any other ideas, tips or tools in the Comments below.